Re: ssh-vs-rsh benchmark result

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002, Matt Hope wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2002, Junichi Uekawa <dancer@netfort.gr.jp> wrote...
> :
> : I've tried running ssh and rsh on a local cluster, for your interest.
> :
> : The experiment was ran on 60 nodes of a idle PC cluster,
> : each node is a dual-Pentium III 1GHz, memory 512MB,
> : interconnected with 100BASE-TX connection.
>
> ssh, by default, uses the "3des" cipher, which may have extra
> overhead.
>
> You may like to try re-running your statistics using the "blowfish" cipher.

Yes, blowfish is approximately 11 times faster than 3des.  But I'm
guessing it wouldn't make much difference, as the connection time (which
is all that's relevant for short tests, such as the one performed) is
going to go to selecting the session key.  That stage of the process
depends on asymmetric encryption (RSA, for example) and is very slow.

Anyone care to do a test and prove I'm correct?  ;-)

Damian Menscher
--
-=#| Physics Grad Student & SysAdmin @ U Illinois Urbana-Champaign |#=-
-=#| 488 LLP, 1110 W. Green St, Urbana, IL 61801 Ofc:(217)333-0038 |#=-