Re: nfs-root booting works for 2.2.* client, but not 2.4.19

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 10:42:53PM -0300, Jorge L. deLyra wrote:
> > I now crash right here. The last good lines are
> >   VFS: Mounted root (nfs filesystem)
> >   Freeing unused kernel memory: 76k freed
> >   Undable to handle kernel paging request at vritual address 14d58d54
> >     printing eip:
> >   [ gooblehoo ... ]
> >
> > Ans you're right -- that is exactly where 2.2.2* pass control to init. The
> > next line is 'Activating swap'.  It starts to smell like a memory issue.
>
> Yes, this is where diskless nodes with bad memory crash more often. Since
> 2.2 and 2.4 probably use memory in different ways, it might be that you
> are just lucky to get through with 2.2. I guess a standalone memtest run
> is in order. You can run it from floppy and it is a sure-fire thing...

No, the machine should be fine in and by itself. Two computers ago, it was
my main workstation. I just changed it again to boot in 2.2.21 and copied
/usr/sbin/memtest (from the sysutils package) over; memtest is currently
running merrily and I'd be surprised if it showed something.

I suspect that I am falling victim to either a resource starvation (that
would be rather bad as 2.4.* ought to boot in 32mb) or, more likely, a
misconfiguration.  The odd thing is that by now, the larger of the two
working 2.2.2* bzimages is 711k, whereas the non-functional 2.4.19 is 737k,
or only 26k more. That can't be it.

I must be missing one dreaded configuration. Darn.

Thanks again, Dirk

--
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
							    -- Fred Brooks