Re: diskless package issues...

On Mon, 01 Jul 2002 19:32:47 -0400
Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@mit.edu> wrote:

Hi,

> I have three questions.  First, when I chroot to
> /var/lib/diskless/default/root and install new packages, /etc and /var
> updates don't propagate to the host /etc and /var directories.  Are
> there plans to make this work -- for example, to have a
> "diskless-update" script to update all of those dirs?

I think that would be very difficult to implement, considering that
the differences on each individual clients would be
pretty difficult to track, to say the least.

> Second, woody seems to have a new way of installing base using packages
> in basedebs.tar instead of base.tgz.  Are there plans to update diskless
> accordingly, e.g. using dpkg --install --root?

diskless-createbasetgz exists for creating  base.tgz.
It should be possible to run debootstrap on each run to
diskless-newhost.

However, requiring diskless-createbasetgz to be called once,
and using the resultant base.tgz is faster than requiring
debootstrap to be ran on each time.

> Third, is there a way to make the console work so users can log in
> there?  I always get something like "id 1 respawning too fast, disabling
> for 5 minutes".

Init is in /sbin/init, AFAIK, and it is a shell script installed by
diskless-image-{simple,secure} package.
You may want to read it to see what might be causing it...
and yes, it should probably be respawning too fast by the look of it.

I haven't had much time to work with this package recently, and help would be
appreciated.

regards,
	junichi

--
Junichi Uekawa, dancer@mikilab.doshisha.ac.jp
Grid Computing Group, Intelligent Systems Design Laboratory,