Re: mosix oddities.

On Mon, Jun 04, 2001 at 08:09:24PM -0400, Jonathan D. Proulx wrote:

:My build of mosix 1.0.3 resulted in a kernel that paniced just after
:the login promped came up on the dual CPU system (kernel BUG in
:<somefile I wrote down but don't have the paper with me>).
:
:I decided to revert to the mosix 1.0.1 kernel that was working, teh
:single CPU system paniced during shutdown with kernel BUG in journal.c

The actual error message gives line numbers in the files for the error
and the invalid operand, along with the contents of the hardware
registers, but I last the paper I wrote this on.

In any event it's working now.  I've been cracking my password file in
three chunks (one per CPU, I'm still at two nodes). this has been
grinding away for about 6h now with mosix_1.0.3-2.deb

I took the following out of my kernel build:
dfsa
mfs
reiserfs
v4l (a bunch of stuff)

I strongly suspect the dfsa and mfs, as the others were modules.

I built the kernel with gcc version 2.95.4 20010522 (Debian
prerelease), with kernel sources from ftp.kernel.org (the full
tarball, not the patches).

:Back to mosix 1.0.1, when I start X on the single CPU system.  The
:kernel on the dual system panics with "too many pages received" (three
:times running).

I hacked around this by tweaking my personal equivelent of startx (I
have a rather odd display set up) to run "X" and the window managers
for my displays locked to the local machine (mosctl -h).

I should revert and see if this is still required with 1.0.3

-Jon