Re: MPI and Java

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 04:52:39PM +0200, Eray Ozkural (exa) wrote:
> Viral wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to use MPI in java programs ?
> > Is there any software available which can do this ?
>
> Well, MPI is about high performance. A '99 paper I read about
> Java MPI showed it to be 20 times slower than MPI in
> C/C++/FORTRAN so I don't think that's a good bet :)

I didn't know that Java MPI was that slow.
However let me explain my application.

The application will be written in C, but there are things such as user
interfaces for managing the cluster, and other programs which will show
realtime data etc. All this is well done by java, and efficiency is not
an issue here. The core programs will be written in C.

Another question I have is, can processes join an MPI cluster ? It seems
that all processes have to call MPI_Init () first, but LAM does seem to have
a way to spawn processes.

viral