Re: MPI and Java

"Eray Ozkural (exa)" wrote:

> Viral wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is it possible to use MPI in java programs ?
> > Is there any software available which can do this ?
>
> Well, MPI is about high performance. A '99 paper I read about
> Java MPI showed it to be 20 times slower than MPI in
> C/C++/FORTRAN so I don't think that's a good bet :)

There are also some issues with the handling of numerical
precision &c in java, as thoroughly explained here:

	http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~wkahan/JAVAhurt.pdf

So if you high performance job is about crunching real numbers
java is not a good idea.

Mind over Matter         Mind.over.Matter@xs4all.nl
The Netherlands                tel +31 6 224 97 227