Re: [OT]? Debian High Availability Cluster

Josep Llauradó Selvas wrote:

> I wanna know any experience using any H.A. cluster under debian... I have
> readed a few information about MOSIX, PVFS and others, and I wanna get
> some real experience about this or any other software.

Not me :)

MOSIX would be useful for HA, but then PVFS would be pretty Beo, right?

> The purpose is the creation of clustered web-servers (apache under Debian
> GNU/Linux) or other type of services.

You might wanna look at red hat's and va's HA software. red hat now maintains
piranha for their distro I guess, and VA has a cluster management software.

And then, some of those services you mention will have hooks for HA
I'm sure :)

In general, those things are for HA and not HPC. So some installation/
configuration software is a good place to start. HA software usually
has a different focus than a Beowulf system. A Beowulf class
supercomputer is intended for high performance.

> PD: I don't know if it's off topic, 'cos the mails to this list are
> oriented to Beowulf clusters. If it's off topic, sorry for the mail.

Not very off topic, but not quite about Beowulf. If there are enough
interested Debian users, why not a debian-ha mailing list?

OTOH, there are of course a lot of common points between HPC and HA
applications.

Such as: how are you going to install a cluster from scratch? I use
FAI to that end, which would be useful for either HPC or HA applications.

Picking up these common points and seeing that good software is
available in Debian for doing them would be a goal for Beowulf ppl here.

Regards,

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural
e-mail: erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr