Re: [OT]? Debian High Availability Cluster

On Wed, 17 Jan 2001, Eray Ozkural (exa) wrote:

> You might wanna look at red hat's and va's HA software. red hat now maintains
> piranha for their distro I guess, and VA has a cluster management software.

We're [1] running a web cluster based on Debian and Piranha ("ported" from
a rpm). We patched a 2.2 kernel with Linux Virtual Server which is a kind
of router on IP level. It seems to work fine but our cluster hasn't been
in production for long. We have done a few other fun thing e.g. using
H. Peter Anvin's PXELINUX during the installation process and loading a
memory tester over the network.

> Not very off topic, but not quite about Beowulf. If there are enough
> interested Debian users, why not a debian-ha mailing list?

There is a great idea!

> Such as: how are you going to install a cluster from scratch? I use
> FAI to that end, which would be useful for either HPC or HA applications.

Logically it's another problem - debian-boot and debian-dpkg seem to be
more appropriate.

Kneth

[1] I'm working for a internet company called Netgroup
<http://www.netgroup.dk>.

Kenneth Geisshirt, Ph.D.                           kneth@sslug.dk
Grøndals Parkvej 2A, 3.               http://www.sslug.dk/~kneth/
DK-2720 Vanløse                                   +45 38 87 78 38