Re: Building MPE for LAM.

Adam C Powell IV <hazelsct@mit.edu> immo vero scripsit

> >I am thinking of making
> >"mpich-mpe-source" package, which contains a .tar.bz2 of
> >MPE source-tree, so that LAM can extract it at build-time,
> >to create MPE for LAM.

> Sounds cool.  Just two questions:
>
> First, suppose I have a package which can be built against mpich or lam,
> selected by an environment variable (defaults to mpich).  Will the
> future lam3-dev be all I need to build this with MPE support in lam?
>  Will I be able to just link -lmpe -lpmpich, or will those names change?
>  Will they be shared libs, or just static like in mpich?

I should hope so, but I have not yet looked into the details.
Whether they are static or shared libs is a question I have not
yet found an answer to.

I haven't looked closely enough to it yet, but I am doubtful if it could
produce useful shared objects, but I could be wrong, and
please prove me wrong :P

> Second, why create a new package, instead of just including it in the
> lam source, or extracting it at bulid time using "apt get source mpich
> && mv mpich-ver.si.on/src/mpe ." somewhere in debian/rules (like atlas
> does for blas and lapack)?

That is something which autobuilders do not seem to like.
Having a working deb-src lines is not mandatory for
pacages to be building.
Packages should be able to build if the Build-Depends are
satisfied.

In fact, blas and lapack should be converted to this way, although
this way looks crude, or someone should put something like
Build-Source-Depends in to policy.

regards,
	junichi

--