diskless install

I've been installing Debian on diskless PowerPC boards a lot recently,
while writing a user guide to our boards. I've run into a problem with
NFS mounting.

Firstly, I'm using the patches from nfs.sourceforge.net, as without them
a diskless PowerPC machine can be unreliable. When the installer starts
on a diskless system, the first thing it does is to mount the root
filesystem. The problem is that the loopback interface isn't up, and the
nolock option isn't specified, so that it times out trying to contact
the portmapper.

The clue was packets addressed to 127.0.0.1 being sent out through eth0.
My workaround is to manually bring up the loopback interface first.

Has anybody else run into this?

- Adrian Cox, AG Electronics