Re: Latest tcl

Thorsten Glaser <t.glaser@tarent.de> writes:

> On Wed, 23 Dec 2020, Cecil Westerhof wrote:
>
>> > Quoting https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/tcltk-defaults
>
>> I looked at:
>>     https://manpages.debian.org/testing/tcl/tclsh.1.en.html
>
>> But the problem is that several pages give the wrong information. And
>> I think most people will take the information from the first page they
>> find and not continue searching. :'-(
>
> No, the pages do not give the wrong information.
>
> https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/tcltk-defaults gives the version of
> the *tcltk-defaults* package, which provides the unversioned things
> (that is, the tcl → tcl8.6 symlink); basically, which major version
> of Tcl/Tk is to be installed by default.

Wrong is in the eye of the beholder. But I think it is better to
circumvent the possibilities of confusion.

When you go to:
    https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/tcl

Not on-realistic for someone who does not have your knowledge.

You are redirected to:
    https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/tcltk-defaults

There you see:
    o-o-stable: 8.6.0+8
    oldstable: 8.6.0+9
    stable: 8.6.9+1
    testing: 8.6.9+1
    unstable: 8.6.9+1+nmu1
    exp: 8.7.0+0~exp2

And I do not see why it is so strange to think that stable and testing
have the same version.
And I certainly do not see how it is clear to go to:
    https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/tcl8.6

When you know, yes, you will go there. But how should the uninitiated
come to this conclusion?

--
Cecil Westerhof
Senior Software Engineer