Re: (newbie) correct way to update versions for bpo

Il giorno gio 5 nov 2020 alle ore 20:29 mousebot <mousebot@disroot.org> ha scritto:
hi backporters,

i'm a debian user learning (trying) how to help out with packaging some (simple) backports.

i have done a full test process, building using cowbuilder, with a package from testing, and uploaded it to mentors.debian.net. but i'm unsure how to change the version information correctly so that it actually appears as a backport. when my build is uploaded it doesn't have a ~bpo suffix and is listed as being in unstable.

the docs at https://wiki.debian.org/BuildingFormalBackports#Using_pbuilder are apparently outdated/unreliable, and the backporting contribute page (https://backports.debian.org/Contribute/#index4h3) only says:

" Please don't use unstable or stable as target distribution. Append "~bpo${release}+${build}" to the version number, e.g. "1.2-3" becomes "1.2-3~bpo10+1" (or use dch --bpo). "

i ran dcu --bpo before building, and saved the changelog file, but it seems to have no effect on the actual build. none of the debian metadata files show ~bpo in the version. are there other things i need to do / am i missing a (glaring) step in the process? sorry for my fumbling but the process seems still pretty opaque to me after lots of reading.

all best.
I guess the missing piece here is building the new *source* package backport version with:
 dpkg-source -b .
right after dch --bpo and before running pbuilder/cowbuilder on the new .dsc file which should have ~bpo10+1 in its name.
The above is not required if you use debuild or dpkg-buildpackage instead but notice that this way your package will be built in your current environment and not in a clean chroot so i would not recommend it for a formal backport.
Hope it helps.

Regards
BZ