Re: backporting Litecoin [not-in-testing]

On Mon, 04 Jun 2018, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:

> On Monday, 4 June 2018 4:44:52 PM AEST Alexander Wirt wrote:
> > Then we agree to disagree. We don't want backports that are not in testing.
>
> I can't think of a better example of a package that worth exception for "not-
> in-testing" rule. Can you be convinced? Have you ever granted such exception
> for non-security related reason?
No, the only exception we had - for historicial reasons - were kernel and
libreoffice and they don't use it anymore.

> Of course you know that sometimes package can not be in testing due to
> library transitions or removals. "not-in-testing" should be less strict and
> reasonable exceptions should be possible to get.
We removed packages that are not in testing in the past. But however, we are
not talking about a temporary thing but a permanent exception.

> Your objection to backporting Litecoin is not reasonable because it makes no
> sense.
>
> Backports are not the same as "stable" - if they were the same then there
> would be no need for backports. If "not-in-testing" rule is for quality
> purposes then it should be possible so emulate it by artificial delay between
> upload to "unstable" and upload to backports. Do you have a particular
> concern why you think "not-in-testing" rule should be _always_ applicable to
> backports?
Because we created it like that. Backports should go the testing route and I
am not willing to create an exception here and I don't think my other
ftpmaster will decide different.

Alex