Re: requesting asciidoctor transition needed to update bpo of git

Hi Jonathan,

On Sat, May 05, 2018 at 04:14:34PM -0700, Joseph Herlant wrote:
> On Sat, May 5, 2018 at 2:10 PM, Nicholas D Steeves <nsteeves@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Joseph, that's a very good point!  Yes, I agree that the best way
> > forward would be to transition git to asciidoctor.  eg: if asciidoc
> > was backported, and then dropped from unstable (and thus testing) then
> > I think an asciidoc~bpo removal request would become a necessary
> > hassle.  Asciidoctor/1.5.4-2 is available in stretch.  Is it new
> > enough?  In the spirit of quid pro quo, please let me know if there's
> > anything I can do to help with the git-el to magit mini-transition :-)

[...]
> > Given what Mert said src:git needed a newer asciidoc for, it sounds
> > like the three options for unblocking an update of the git bpo are (in
> > order of preference)
> >
> >  1. transition to asciidoctor
> >  2. add "-a footer-style=none" to src:git's asciidoc command[s]"
> >  3. backport asciidoc
>
> Hmmm... seems 2 is the least amount of work, I'd vote for that! ;)

For the full thread, please consult:
https://lists.debian.org/debian-backports/2018/05/msg00016.html

What would you like to do to unblock future updates of the src:git
stretch-bpo?  I'm willing to help if necessary, because git >= 2.16
has a bunch of useful (advanced) features.  Please reply to
debian-backports.

Cheers,
Nicholas