Re: requesting asciidoctor transition needed to update bpo of git

On Sat, May 05, 2018 at 12:23:00AM +0000, Joseph Herlant wrote:
>    Hi guys,
>    Sure we can backport it, there's one bug I need to fix first but we have
>    to keep in mind that asciidoc is deprecated (see #895462) so it might be
>    better to just migrate the doc/manpage generation to a tool that has an
>    actual active upstream...
>    I was waiting for asciidoctor's release (they did it yesterday so now I
>    need to push it to Debian) to start again on the migration work with the
>    different upstreams.
>    I can prioritize the move of git to something else if that helps.
>    Joseph
>    On Fri, May 4, 2018, 5:10 PM Mert Dirik <[1]mertdirik@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>      On Fri, May 4, 2018, 22:58 Nicholas D Steeves <[2]nsteeves@gmail.com>
>      wrote:
>
>        Dear Joseph,
>
>        Are you interested in maintaining a stretch-backport of asciidoc?
>        Please let me know either way, because updating the bpo of git
>        requires it and I'd be happy to maintain a bpo of asciidoc if
>        necessary.  Oh, and please CC me your reply.
>
>        Thank you :-)
>        Nicholas
>
>      I've recently backported a git version in sid privately and removing the
>      version constraint of asciidoc dependency was enough to get the package
>      built and run successfully. AFAIK the  newer asciidoc version is only
>      required for reproducable builds and not a hard requirement for build
>      and test suite.

Joseph, that's a very good point!  Yes, I agree that the best way
forward would be to transition git to asciidoctor.  eg: if asciidoc
was backported, and then dropped from unstable (and thus testing) then
I think an asciidoc~bpo removal request would become a necessary
hassle.  Asciidoctor/1.5.4-2 is available in stretch.  Is it new
enough?  In the spirit of quid pro quo, please let me know if there's
anything I can do to help with the git-el to magit mini-transition :-)

Mert, you're right about minimal requirements.  That said, I think the
data provided by reproducible builds and autopkgtests/DebCI helps
support the case that the backports repository is a higher quality
source of updates than other distributions' alternatives.  Yes, in
this case it seems only documentation is affected... ;-) Honestly, I'm
not looking forward to fixing an unreproducible build in one of my own
packages (only affects documentation) because it will require adding
generate-date-stamp-for-a-specific-date functionality to a project that
is dead upstream.

Take care,
Nicholas