Re: openjdk-11, please?

Hi,

Am 20.10.18 um 09:31 schrieb Harald Dunkel:
> Hi Markus,
>
> On 10/18/18 5:20 PM, Markus Koschany wrote:
>>
>> Why do you need a backport of OpenJDK 11 for Stretch?
>
> We are using Stretch for development and tests. Openjdk 11 is needed to
> review the new features without switching to another platform. We
> already skipped 9 and 10.

Compiling OpenJDK 11 from source requires either OpenJDK 10 or OpenJDK
11 which makes it a bit difficult to backport to Stretch. It is not
impossible but you have to backport OpenJDK 10 first and adjust the
debian/control{.in} file for your Stretch environment.

I suggest to consider upgrading your test environment to testing which
has several advantages. Not only will you get the latest version of
OpenJDK 11, you will also have access to newer Java libraries and
applications. In addition you could help the Java team by reporting any
issues you find while testing with OpenJDK 11.

>> OpenJDK 8 is fully
>> supported and works perfectly.
>
> I cannot speak for openjdk8, but Oracle's Java 8 is not aware of cgroups,
> for example. You have to use
>
> 	-XX:+UnlockExperimentalVMOptions -XX:+UseCGroupMemoryLimitForHeap
>
> turning on other experimental features as well. Is this different for
> openjdk8?

It is most likely the same. As far as I know this feature was added in
OpenJDK 8u131 and improved in later versions of OpenJDK. If this is the
only reason why you need OpenJDK 11, enforcing proper memory limits in
containers, then setting up a new system with Debian testing is the
least amount of work IMHO.

Regards,

Markus