Re: openjdk-11, please?

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 07:46:08AM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:

Hi,

> google told me
>
> 	No results found for site:lists.debian.org "openjdk-11" backport
>
> so I wonder if such a backport could be added? Due to Oracle's license
> change I would like to avoid the proprietary package on my Debian 9
> hosts.

As others outlined in this thread the compilation of Java 11 is not so simple.
At work we decided to give the builds of the AdoptOpenJDK.net initiative a try.
If you trust those builds or not is something you've to decided.

For now we're just mirroring them internally and pull them into docker images
which is easy[1]. We're currently looking into extending my fork of java-package[2]
further to also support converting those binary builds to Debian packages. On the
other hand, if you just want to drop the jdk somewhere into /opt/jvm/jdk11 or something
like that, I guess you're faster with using a hammer like fpm to force it into a .deb.

Sven

[1] The Jenkins mirror job is just
 curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk11-binaries/master/releases.json | \
 jq -r ".[].assets[].browser_download_url" | \
 grep -E "OpenJDK11.+x64_linux_hotspot"

+ downloading and checksum verification.

[2] https://git.sven.stormbind.net/?p=sven/java-package.git