Re: Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support

[Martin Pitt]
> It's not only that. The sysvinit package *itself* doesn't actually do
> much really. That's not to downplay your past involvement there of
> course (e. g.  developing insserv alone was a huge task), but the
> *real* maintenance is in all the packages that *ship* SysV init
> scripts.

Sure.  But for the common case, it do not need to be much, when using
the /lib/init/init-d-script mechanism.  Of the around 1000 packages with
init.d scripts when I kept track of such things, around 900 did not need
much logic at all to start its daemon.  And as I wrote five years
ago[1], the init.d script often do not have to be longer than this:

#!/lib/init/init-d-script
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides:          rsyslog
# Required-Start:    $remote_fs $time
# Required-Stop:     umountnfs $time
#                    It is quite compatible to stock sysklogd and can be
#                    used as a drop-in replacement.
### END INIT INFO
DESC="enhanced syslogd"
DAEMON=/usr/sbin/rsyslogd

[1] <URL: http://people.skolelinux.org/pere/blog/Debian_init_d_boot_script_example_for_rsyslog.html >

> SysV init leaves all the really hard problems to these, as it cannot
> really do much by itself. That's a fact that people that keep yelling
> "but SysV init was so easy!" keep finessing..

Absolutely.  And the sysvinit boot system have lots of unsolved problems
we never got around to figuring out, related to disk and other device
setup.  The main cause is the fact that the linux kernel is no longer
predicatble and sequencial, but asynchonous.  No amount of wishful
thinking is going to bring is back to a world where static sequencing of
boot events is going to handle all the interdependencies.

To bad systemd do not work with kFreeBSD and Hurd, then we could use the
same mechanism on all architectures.

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen