Re: Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support

Hi Holger,

I’ve been totally shocked by the Subject, but reading on…

> On Sat, Oct 13, 2018 at 06:01:43AM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> > > Has policy changed regarding support for multiple inits, or is it
> > > just that no one is maintaining the shim and sysvinit-core?
> >
> > The latter.  systemd-shim has been orphaned for over 2 years, and has
> > RC bugs.

… this applies to the shim only. I was a bit surprised seeing on
someone else’s system that it was no longer installable, but almost
all systemd-free systems of people I know do not use the shim anyway,
so I’d take the Subject line with a few grains of salt.

With only two modified binary packages (policykit-1 and udisks2) I’ve
got a complete KDE environment running, except for network-manager,
without the shim. People who do not use the full desktop environments
(but the leaner ones, or just a window manager, or no X11 at all) have
no problems with the current situation.

> >   sysvinit currently has two maintainers, but they've only
> > ever made one upload (over a year ago).
>
> It seems that these facts are either largely ignored or unknown and I
> wonder if some noise should be made so that interested people can pick
> up the work now and not only complain later.

Why would sysvinit need uploads? It’s largely working software
that needs few changes. I personally find upload frequency as
a measurement misused too often: sure, no uploads raises some
questions, but more than four to six uploads a year should, in
my opinion, raise even more questions (namely whether the soft‐
ware is ripe and stable enough in the first place).

> Please reply to debian-devel@lists.d.o if you have to, but probably
> replying to those RC bugs is more effective. Also please avoid cc:ing me.

OK, but please keep *me* in Cc, as d-devel is too high-traffic
for me to be subscribed.

Thanks,
//mirabilos
--
«MyISAM tables -will- get corrupted eventually. This is a fact of life. »
“mysql is about as much database as ms access” – “MSSQL at least descends