Re: Debian Buster release to partially drop non-systemd support

On Sun, 2018-10-14 at 18:12 +0200, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
[...]
> > >   sysvinit currently has two maintainers, but they've only
> > > ever made one upload (over a year ago).
> >
> > It seems that these facts are either largely ignored or unknown and I
> > wonder if some noise should be made so that interested people can pick
> > up the work now and not only complain later.
>
> Why would sysvinit need uploads? It’s largely working software
> that needs few changes.

That may be, but there are many open bugs with patches that have not
been applied or answered.  One of them was even RC and unanswered for
over 18 months.  (I downgraded it as it isn't really RC.)

> I personally find upload frequency as
> a measurement misused too often: sure, no uploads raises some
> questions, but more than four to six uploads a year should, in
> my opinion, raise even more questions (namely whether the soft‐
> ware is ripe and stable enough in the first place).
[...]

Please tell me this is a joke.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.