Re: Backporting zlib 1.2.11 to Stretch

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 10:43:58AM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 09:57:30AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > I stumbled upon some software (spoa [1]) which obviously does not build
> > with zlib 1.2.8 (just tried building in stretch - works with a
> > backported zlib from testing).
>
> That seems to be due to bioparser using the new zlib features from
> 1.2.11.

Yes.

> Maybe it is easier to adapt bioparse to the 1.2.8 zlib interface than
> backporting this pretty central library?

That's the question.  If it is only the one dependency bioparser it
might be sensible to adapt it (hints welcome - I have no idea about zlib
interface).  However, zlib 1.2.11 is also not considered very new
software so other backports might profit from the port as well.

If there are any reports that zlib 1.2.11 is not downwards compatible
(at least its featuring the same ABI version so in theory it should not)
its better to be careful here.

Kind regards

        Andreas.

--