Re: python-reportbug in jessie-backports has invalid version

On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 02:15:53PM -0500, Dan Rue wrote:
> When installing python-reportbug in debian jessie from jessie-backports, and
> also bringing in python-setuptools from backports, 'pip freeze' fails due to an
> invalid python package version in python-reportbug.
>
> To reproduce, build the following Dockerfile:
>
>     FROM debian:jessie
>
>     RUN echo 'deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list
>     RUN apt-get update && \
>         apt-get install -y -t jessie-backports python-pip python-reportbug
>     RUN pip freeze
>
> The root cause is that python-reportbug's python version is
> '6.6.6~bpo8', which is an invalid version per PEP440. Later versions of
> pip are able to deal with it, but 1.5.6 as installed on jessie can not.

I'm afraid that PEP440 does not override Debian's versioning policy.
There is a reason for it to be called 6.6.6~bpo8, which has everything
to do with upgradeability of the package.

Calling it 6.6.6 would be lying.

--
Could you people please use IRC like normal people?!?

  -- Amaya Rodrigo Sastre, trying to quiet down the buzz in the DebConf 2008
     Hacklab