Re: python-reportbug in jessie-backports has invalid version

[sorry Wouter for the extra copy, I forgot to reply-all to the original message]

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 06:31:59PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 02:15:53PM -0500, Dan Rue wrote:
> > When installing python-reportbug in debian jessie from jessie-backports, and
> > also bringing in python-setuptools from backports, 'pip freeze' fails due to an
> > invalid python package version in python-reportbug.
> >
> > To reproduce, build the following Dockerfile:
> >
> >     FROM debian:jessie
> >
> >     RUN echo 'deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian jessie-backports main' >> /etc/apt/sources.list
> >     RUN apt-get update && \
> >         apt-get install -y -t jessie-backports python-pip python-reportbug
> >     RUN pip freeze
> >
> > The root cause is that python-reportbug's python version is
> > '6.6.6~bpo8', which is an invalid version per PEP440. Later versions of
> > pip are able to deal with it, but 1.5.6 as installed on jessie can not.
>
> I'm afraid that PEP440 does not override Debian's versioning policy.
> There is a reason for it to be called 6.6.6~bpo8, which has everything
> to do with upgradeability of the package.
>
> Calling it 6.6.6 would be lying.

6.6.6~bpo8 is the _Debian_ version. The Python version is 6.6.6, and has
no effect on the upgradeability of the package. Also, we dont't go
around changing upstream version numbers on any backports, so I can't
see any good reason to do that in this case, even condidering that
reportbug is a native package.