Re: Maintaining intermediary versions in *-backports

On Wed, 24 May 2017 21:31:16 +0200
Raphael Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 24 May 2017, Christian Seiler wrote:
> > But it was a mistake to upload 1.10 to unstable when it was
> > known that there isn't an upgrade path from the previous
> > stable version - and even worse that doing the upgrade anyway
> > would cause data loss. (If I understand this thread correctly,
> > at least.)
>
> Please don't take Neil's word on it. As one of the Django
> maintainers, I'm not aware of any such systemic upgrade problem.
>
> Django 1.7 introduced support for database migrations and Django user
> applications can provide such migrations... the only known problem
> is when user applications generate migrations with newer versions
> of Django than the Django that the users use:
> https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/topics/migrations/#supporting-multiple-django-versions

That is *not* what we are doing. We generate these migrations on jessie
and have automated testing to pick up this specific upstream issue and
prevent code reviews being applied which would trigger it.

--

Neil Williams