Re: Maintaining intermediary versions in *-backports

On Wed, 24 May 2017, Christian Seiler wrote:
> But it was a mistake to upload 1.10 to unstable when it was
> known that there isn't an upgrade path from the previous
> stable version - and even worse that doing the upgrade anyway
> would cause data loss. (If I understand this thread correctly,
> at least.)

Please don't take Neil's word on it. As one of the Django
maintainers, I'm not aware of any such systemic upgrade problem.

Django 1.7 introduced support for database migrations and Django user
applications can provide such migrations... the only known problem
is when user applications generate migrations with newer versions
of Django than the Django that the users use:
https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.11/topics/migrations/#supporting-multiple-django-versions

But this is something that user applications should take care of.
And it's a dependency that ought to be reflected in the package's
dependency. It's not a generic problem.

Neil might be speaking of something else, it's not clear to me what his
real problem is...

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer