Re: Maintaining intermediary versions in *-backports

On Wed, 24 May 2017 16:23:13 +0200
Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org> wrote:

> On 14682 March 1977, Neil Williams wrote:
>
> > Policy is not a stick to bash developers or users. 1.8 needs to stay
> > available in backports at all costs.
>
> Backports is not there to fixup maintainers mistake.

It's not a mistake. It is simply a timing issue. There was no window to
get the LTS into Jessie.

> > Anything else makes backports completely unusable. More than that,
> > it makes all packages depending on django in *stretch* RC buggy.
>
> No, it doesnt. They already ARE RC Buggy and should all get a bug
> against them. stretch main must be self contained, if it needs
> something from outside of it, its an RC bug.

What it needs from outside Stretch is the user data.

Fresh installs of these packages work and have always worked.

It is the user data during upgrades that is the problem here. We're
talking about a major change to how the database is managed. That
cannot be cherry-picked out of 1.8.

> > So removing 1.8 from jessie-backports would directly cause the
> > removal of dozens of packages from testing and unstable.
>
> That is just so wrong that it hurts a lot.

Why?

Please consider what is actually going on here, not just the top level
view. The problem is in the detail and will directly harm users if 1.8
cannot be updated in jessie-backports.

--

Neil Williams