Re: VirtualBox: stretch-backports vs third-party repository

On Mon, 2017-10-16 at 15:15 +0200, Yannick Ihmels wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > > For this reason I often write instead:
> > >
> > > apt install virtualbox/stretch-backports
> >
> > That's nice.
> >
> > Why does this work and are packages installed in this way updated when
> > running `apt upgrade`?
>
> I found out myself that
>
>     apt -t stretch-backports install virtualbox
>
> will install dependencies from stretch-backports and
>
>     apt install virtualbox/stretch-backports
>
> will install them from stretch (or stretch/updates or stretch-updates).

Right.  This is explained in the apt_preferences(5) manual page, under
"APT's Default Priority Assignments".  The Release files for Debian's
backports suites have "NotAutomatic: yes" and "ButAutomaticUpgrades:
yes" which results in a normal priority of 100.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of