Re: VirtualBox: stretch-backports vs third-party repository

Hello,

>I would like to install VirtualBox to use it as a provider for Vagrant.
>I wonder what is the advantage of installing VirtualBox from the
>stretch-backports repository instead of the upstream third-party repository?

Debian friendliness, e.g. we take care of removing non-dfsg stuff, we use system
libraries, as well as system tools to do stuff (e.g. we use dkms to build).

We do patch it a little bit, e.g. right now the 5.1* branch runs on rootless
xorg systems.

We don't pollute e.g. /opt to install guest tools, and a lot more.

G.