Re: Maintaining intermediary versions in *-backports

On Thu, 25 May 2017 18:36:39 +1000
Brian May <bam@debian.org> wrote:

> Thorsten Glaser <t.glaser@tarent.de> writes:
>
> > But you could have brought 1.8 into stretch, alongside
> > the next version, with differing package names, right?
>
> Then you have the problem that the two packages will conflict. Does
> that mean all package that depend on Django need to work with both
> versions? How do you test them to make sure they both work when they
> conflict? --

Testing is an automation problem, it's technical and can be fixed. It's
one of the reasons we have packages like Jenkins and LAVA. It is not
insurmountable. The problem is the developer workload of maintaining
parallel source trees and security fixes etc.

Off this thread, I did offer the resources of the LAVA upstream team to
assist with packaging python-django-lts but Raphael was concerned that
this would be too much work even with assistance.

Personally, I'm much happier with Raphael's plan of having only LTS in
unstable and therefore testing, stable and backports. It adds some work
on testing packages against the developer versions which would be in
experimental but I've already assigned someone upstream in the LAVA
software team to create a test strategy using LAVA to specifically test
this path and the upgrade from LTS -> LTS+1.

--

Neil Williams