Re: Maintaining intermediary versions in *-backports

On Wed, 2017-05-24 at 12:49 +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> [ The topic here is maintaining a version X in $foo-backports when $foo+1
> contains a version higher than X, eg in my case keep maintaing Django
> 1.8.x in jessie-backports while stretch has 1.10.x ]
>
> Hello,
>
> let's start a proper discussion based on facts. The other thread
> has gotten needlessly personal. I want to start with what I said
> in https://lists.debian.org/debian-backports/2017/05/msg00106.html
>
> The reason for the reject of my upload was "please take the version from
> testing, not a version that never was in the archive". But the rules
> > (https://backports.debian.org/Contribute/) say this:
> > To guarantee an upgrade path from stable+backports to the next stable,
> > the package should be in testing.
>
> Note the "should", it's not a "must". And my upload perfectly met the
> criteria for that suggestion: my backported package upgrades fine to
> the next stable.
>
> The policy goes further by defining exceptions:
> > Of course there are some exceptions: Security updates.
>
> I initially uploaded a version that was in testing and all the subsequent
> uploads I made were security updates (in the form of upstream point
> releases).
>
> Honestly, I really think that I'm fully in the spirit of the backport
> policy and that this rejection is unwarranted.
[...]

I've always understood that the exceptional cases justify backporting a
newer version that is currently only in unstable, not an older version.

I think we should have an additional exception for cases where it
becomes impractical to backport newer versions but a maintainer is
willing to support it with important fixes.  But from what I've read,
that doesn't seem to be the case with Django 1.10.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
In a hierarchy, every employee tends to rise to his level of