Re: how to get a bug in backports fixed?

* Harald Dunkel <harald.dunkel@aixigo.de> [2017-05-19 09:43:15 CEST]:
> Waiting for the fix in stable you see the shiny new version
> N+3 in Testing, and somebody created a backport. You need to
> have a fix, so what would you do?
>
> Obviously backports *is* a place to fix bugs. Sometimes its
> the last resort for Debian users left alone with their bugs
> in stable.

 Fixing a bug in stable shouldn't be the motivation for a backport.
That's what the discussion is about.  It is true that sometimes
bugfixing that aren't considered severe enough can still be a big pain
to some people, but on the other hand fixes might blocked/not done
because there might be workarounds available, only appearing in specific
corner cases or not deemed important enough the time of the volunteering
efforts.

 I can understand that a backport in those cases might look appealing.
But the motivation to create the backport has to be offering new
possibilities/features through the package, and not avoiding getting the
fixes into stable.  Especially since that won't help the users of
stable who don't use backports, *at all*.

 Hope that clears it up. :)
Rhonda