Re: amdgpu for jessie-backports?

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 12:29:24AM +0200, Sylvestre Ledru wrote:
> Le 24/08/2016 à 00:27, Nicholas D Steeves a écrit :
> > On 16 August 2016 at 09:33, Gianfranco Costamagna
> > <locutusofborg@debian.org> wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> stretch/sid are already fine.
> >> Jessie needs probably investigation
> >>
> >> if you want a stretch pbuilder...
> >> pbuilder-dist stretch amd64 create
> >> or
> >> pbuilder-dist stretch i386 create
> >>
> >> end.
> >>
> >> G.
> >>
> > I ran into a proprietary piece of software that required clang & llvm
> > 3.8, so gave backporting to jessie (amd64) it a try.  The build seemed
> > to work, as a nochange bpo of llvm-toolchain-3.8 1:3.8-2.  I'm
> > rebuilding it now and will post the build log when it finally
> > completes...so slow...  I built it using pdebuild, with pbuilderrc
> > configured to use my base-jessie-backports.cow cowbuilder chroot; it
> > has jessie-backports enabled, and I haven't yet investigated if the
> > reason it succeeded for me was because it pulled in a backported
> > dependency instead of one from stable.
> >
> > Does anyone know what packages need to be installed to have
> > equivalence with this upstream binary?:
> > http://llvm.org/releases/3.8.0/clang+llvm-3.8.0-x86_64-linux-gnu-debian8.tar.xz
> They are pretty much the same. We have several patches on top but
> nothing crazy.
> > The reason I ask is the proprietary software package works fine with
> > the upstream clang+llvm blob, but didn't work with clang-3.8,
> > llvm-3.8, libclang-dev, and llvm-3.8-dev backports installed.
> Could you tell me more about that?
> What means "didn't work" ?
>
> Thanks,

Hi Sylvestre,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, and sorry for the delay in
my reply.  It's so hard to debug a proprietary binary stripped of
debugging symbols!  By "didn't work" I mean the proprietary
application is failing to create any kind of window or canvas to draw
to and is failing silently during initialisation.

I've opened a ticket with the application developer, and will get back
to you once I know more.  Please ping me in a week or two for an
update.

Best regards,
Nicholas