Re: samba 4.4.5 backports

On Thu, 2016-07-28 at 10:33 +0200, Alexander Wirt wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Jul 2016, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
>
> > Hai,
> >

> > Im ready to upload samba and its needed dependecies to jessie
> > backports.
> > Samba 4.4.5 amd64 and i386
> As is already said, we won't accept the package unless a regular
> samba
> maintainer backs that backport.

Just to be clear, as everyone seems to be piling on here, Louis has
been encouraged by myself to undertake this work.

That said, Jelmer is correct about us needing, as a team, to be able to
handle the current workload before we proceed further.

Louis,

Thanks for what you have done so far.  I hope to get a chance to look
into it soon.  However, Jelmer is right, if you could help us out with
the packages we have already (we need current 4.2 packaged for stable,
for example), that would go a long way to showing that we have the
sustainable level of help we need to also have a backport.

(That is, our Debian stable users are rightly screaming about the
issues in the 4.2 release that are not being addressed in a timely
manner, we need to get that under control before we add 4.4 or 4.5 to
the mix).

I realise this might feel like a bit of a bait-and-switch, but it
really will help us over-all.

Thanks,

Andrew Bartlett

--