Re: Latest qt4 backports break bpo qtcreator and wireshark

On domingo, 17 de julio de 2016 11:13:24 A. M. ART Lisandro Damián Nicanor
Pérez Meyer wrote:
[snip]
> I acknowledge that there are a hadful of packages that use Qt5's private
> headers on jessie and that those need a rebuit, I was planning to do that
> once the full stack is there.
[snip]
> Now it seems backports are not ready for uploading bigger stacks like this,
> which if it's really the case I can understand it. If so, please do *not*
> heasiate and remove harfbuzz, qtchooser, qt4-x11, qt*-opensource-src and
> reject qtcreator ans qbs from NEW.

While I wait for, at very least, an aswer to the above from a BPO FTP master
I'll add another technical question, which I would like answered also by a BPO
ftp master.

From a technical point of view rebuilding a stable package against a version
in bpo is feasible, but I don't know if it's possible due to policy/man power
to handle them/another issue.

As an example, suposse we have

  foo_<jessie_version>

in jessie. If it somehow required a rebuilt against a package in backports
someone could easily prepare a backports-like upload with version

  foo_<jessie_version>+bpo8+1 (note the + instead of the ~)

Of course, same rules applies as for any other bpo package: whoever uploads it
must take reposability for it's bugs, ask for a rebuild in case the jessie
version gets uploaded, etc.

I don't see any technical reason why not to do this, but again, maybe there
are policy/man power issues to support this. So I would like to know: would
this be welcomed in bpo?

Regards, Lisandro.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/