Re: Latest qt4 backports break bpo qtcreator and wireshark

On domingo, 17 de julio de 2016 9:55:28 A. M. ART Alexander Wirt wrote:
[snip]
> I monitored the disaster on qt5 for some time now... Speaking with my
> ftpmaster hat on I have to say that this kind of backporting isn't
> acceptable. In fact it is the perfect reason why we disallow uploads of
> fundamental components that break to many things.
>
> If I had knewn that this will happen the backports wouldn't have been
> accepted in bpo.
>
> Please fix this mess very, very soon or the backport will get removed from
> the archive.

Alexander: I have very mixed fillings about this. Qt5 is indeed ~18 submodules
that needed to go trough NEW before they could get in, plus qtchooser and qt4.

I acknowledge that there are a hadful of packages that use Qt5's private
headers on jessie and that those need a rebuit, I was planning to do that once
the full stack is there.

From my side I made two mistakes: I uploaded qtsvg without a bpo version which
I  promtply asked for it's removal. Sadly the package that got removed instead
was qtbase, key to building the rest.

The other one was a bug in qtbase itself due to my sbuild setup not being
right due to the bootstarp I need to do to build documentation, as backports
do not have an arch:all buildd, which is just fine. Had qtbase being accepted
promptly I would have noticed this fast and qtbase would have been reuploaded
before the rest of the stack.

Now it seems backports are not ready for uploading bigger stacks like this,
which if it's really the case I can understand it. If so, please do *not*
heasiate and remove harfbuzz, qtchooser, qt4-x11, qt*-opensource-src and
reject qtcreator ans qbs from NEW.

Now doing my normal job to push Qt to the archive being considered "a
disaster" when I can't even control the order or timing of the packages coming
in is way too much, specially when I have been over it all the time. I can
understand a technical disagreement like "sorry, but this is too much for how
we currently handle backports", but not this despective adjective when I think
I was doing the right thing with all the good intentions.

Regards, Lisandro.

--
Una vez que hemos eliminado lo imposible, lo que queda, por improbable que
parezca, es la verdad.

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/