Re: Backporting R

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 09:16:31PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> > I would welcome this. Currently, I am doing the builds for the CRAN servers
> > for three different architectures to jessie and wheezy with some hand-baked
> > build scripts,
> >
> > http://cgit.jrwb.de/r-backports/
> >
> > which is quite time consuming.
> >
> > Would it make sense to create a git repository on alioth for the backporting?
>
> If you ask me having a Git repository for R packaging on alioth is
> something I have suggested in the past.  Backports are than maintained
> in a branch debian/jessie-backports as many teams do.
>
> > My aim would be to backport each stable release, so I could drop the manual
> > builds for CRAN, at least for jessie. I am not a DD, but I could help with the
> > new releases once everything is set up.
>
> We could use Debian Science Git which IMHO would be quite natural team
> for R (since there is no dedicated R team which I would prefer but I can
> not lead this effort).  If you prepare a backport for uploading and ping
> me I'd happily sponsor it for Jessie backports.

Since I've got no answer I propose the following:

  1. I'll create

       https://git.debian.org/git/debian-science/packages/r-base.git

  2. I inject the current packaging from testing/unstable to this
     repository and create debian/jessie-backports branch.

  3. I add Johannes Ranke to the members of Debian Science team to
     grant him commit permissions

Thus Johannes can commit the changes for Jessie backports there.

Any better suggestion is welcome.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--