Re: Backporting R

Hi Johannes,

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 10:12:28AM +0200, Johannes Ranke wrote:
> > | backporting
> > | r-base.  Any opinions about this plan?
> >
> > We (as in Debian-focussed R contributors) have supported this for a decade+
> > already.  See
> >
> >    http://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian
> >
> > and talk to Johannes (CC'ed) about specifics.
>
> I would welcome this. Currently, I am doing the builds for the CRAN servers
> for three different architectures to jessie and wheezy with some hand-baked
> build scripts,
>
> http://cgit.jrwb.de/r-backports/
>
> which is quite time consuming.
>
> Would it make sense to create a git repository on alioth for the backporting?

If you ask me having a Git repository for R packaging on alioth is
something I have suggested in the past.  Backports are than maintained
in a branch debian/jessie-backports as many teams do.

> My aim would be to backport each stable release, so I could drop the manual
> builds for CRAN, at least for jessie. I am not a DD, but I could help with the
> new releases once everything is set up.

We could use Debian Science Git which IMHO would be quite natural team
for R (since there is no dedicated R team which I would prefer but I can
not lead this effort).  If you prepare a backport for uploading and ping
me I'd happily sponsor it for Jessie backports.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de