Re: Backporting R

Hi Andreas,

Am Samstag, 23. April 2016, 19:18:18 schrieb Dirk Eddelbuettel:
> On 23 April 2016 at 23:33, Andreas Tille wrote:
> | Hi,
> |
> | I intent to backport some R packages to Jessie and at least one of this
> | set (r-cran-taxize) requires R >= 3.2.1.  That's why I consider
> | backporting
> | r-base.  Any opinions about this plan?
>
> Sure.
>
> We (as in Debian-focussed R contributors) have supported this for a decade+
> already.  See
>
>    http://cloud.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian
>
> and talk to Johannes (CC'ed) about specifics.

I would welcome this. Currently, I am doing the builds for the CRAN servers
for three different architectures to jessie and wheezy with some hand-baked
build scripts,

http://cgit.jrwb.de/r-backports/

which is quite time consuming.

Would it make sense to create a git repository on alioth for the backporting?
My aim would be to backport each stable release, so I could drop the manual
builds for CRAN, at least for jessie. I am not a DD, but I could help with the
new releases once everything is set up.

Kind regards,

Johannes