Re: Backports Instructions refer to "http.debian.net"

On Wednesday, 9 March 2016 5:06:12 PM AEDT Rhonda D'Vine wrote:
> * Dmitry Smirnov <onlyjob@debian.org> [2016-02-26 19:27:30 CET]:
> > On Fri, 26 Feb 2016 05:15:15 PM Tristan Seligmann wrote:
> > > httpredir.debian.org seems to be unmaintained,
> >
> > Unfortunately your information is incorrect. http://httpredir.debian.org/
> > is the official (non-experimental) and maintained sevice. Try opening
> > those URLs in browser to get more information. See also
> >
> >     https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2015/05/msg00003.html
>
>  Unfortunately your information though is outdated.

Mine? That's everyone's information unless there were another (newer)
announce superceeding this one.

>  That announce is 10 months old,

I did not realise we have expiration date on the announcements.

>  And stating that's "not six months yet" is not really a
> helpful in the light of that it's unmaintained since that time.

It is helpful to avoid reassuring (slight) exaggeration.
I agree, there seems to be a maintenance problem.

>  Besides, http.debian.net *is* httpredir.debian.org, there's no
> difference between those.

And how do you know that, exactly? Without insider's knowledge I've noticed
that services resolve to different IP addresses. Announcement suggests that
"httpredir" runs on Debian infrastructure while "http.debian.net" was proof
of concept not hosted by Debian. Moreover I doubt those services are running
the same version of software and it may be that "http.debian.net" stopped
receiveing updates before "httpredir.debian.org" did... Though I'm only
speculating...

> And as long as the status is unclear and
> keeps unclear it doesn't make any difference which of the two names are
> in there ...

Why is that? We have official announcement where Raphael himself declared
"httpredir.debian.org" as successor of "http.debian.net". We should be using
the former just because it is hosted by Debian infrastructure even if both
services are identical. Instructions should have been updated long time
ago...

> I'm much more for switching to deb.debian.org than
> exchanging the name for the same service given that the testing goes
> well.

"deb.debian.org" is a fantastic service that works very well (as far as I can
tell). I'm all for it but I'd like to see the announcement with more details
about the service, who maintains it and their contact details...

--
All the best,
 Dmitry Smirnov.

---

The most fatal blow to progress is slavery of the intellect. The most
sacred right of humanity is the right to think, and next to the right to
think is the right to express that thought without fear.
        -- Helen H. Gardner, "Men, Women and Gods"