Re: approval for backporting stable releases of [calligra,zabbix] (not in "testing")

Hi Dmitry,

On 15-11-15 02:39, Dmitry Smirnov wrote:
> On Saturday 14 November 2015 22:42:50 Mert Dirik wrote:
>> I'm not aware of any such existing facility, but "Developer
>> repositories" (the infamous PPA) proposal covers this under
>> "Aggressive Backport" scenario. I don't know what is the latest plan
>> about it, though.
>
> I do not see PPAs as useful. Actually I think PPAs may cause more harm than
> good. There will be fragmentation and trust issues as anybody can upload
> anything to PPA without concerns for policy compliance etc.

I don't think that this is the way that Debian bikesheds (also known as
PPA's) are meant to be used. Not anybody can upload, only people that
also have upload right for the main archive can do that. Also the
requirements for uploads are the same. At least the "main" bikesheds are
just meant to be official extensions of the archive.

> Single, official repository of team-maintained backports is a far more
> powerful idea. I think Debian should stick to this concept and organise
> maintainers' efforts around centralised, trustworthy, policy-governed
> backports repository.

This is how these bikesheds can ALSO be used, and I for one really mean
to create several of those for some of the teams I am involved with.

Paul