Re: approval for backporting stable releases of [calligra,zabbix] (not in "testing")

On Saturday 14 November 2015 22:42:50 Mert Dirik wrote:
> I'm not aware of any such existing facility, but "Developer
> repositories" (the infamous PPA) proposal covers this under
> "Aggressive Backport" scenario. I don't know what is the latest plan
> about it, though.

I do not see PPAs as useful. Actually I think PPAs may cause more harm than
good. There will be fragmentation and trust issues as anybody can upload
anything to PPA without concerns for policy compliance etc.

Single, official repository of team-maintained backports is a far more
powerful idea. I think Debian should stick to this concept and organise
maintainers' efforts around centralised, trustworthy, policy-governed
backports repository.

I can already deliver whatever I want from my personal repository that I use
to deploy my packages. I reckon PPA could be useful to deliver unreleased
patches to bug reporters for testing but that's the only use I can imagine
for PPA. I'm concerned that availability of PPA will make it too easy for
everybody to ship whatever they want instead of trying to improve official
packages.

Some upstream developers ship debian packages of their software. Usually
those packages are of poor quality and users are confused which packages to
use -- vendor-provided or Debian ones. I reckon PPAs will add even more
confusion and concerns about quality.

--
Regards,
 Dmitry Smirnov.

---

If you travel the earth, you will find it is largely divided into two
classes of people - people who say "I wonder why such and such is not done"
and people who say "Now who is going to prevent me from doing that thing?"
        -- Winston Churchill