Re: Backport of wxMaxima fom testing to Jessie

Dear Vincent,

thanks a lot!

Will try to do so this weekend.

Kind regards,

 Gunter.

On Di, Sep 29, 2015 at 10:41 , Vincent Cheng <vcheng@debian.org> wrote:
Hi Gunter, On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 3:41 AM, Gunter Königsmann <gunter@peterpall.de> wrote:
Since I work on a Ubuntu, not a Debian box I am no expert on the inner workings of Debian. But I had loads of crashes with 13.04. If there is a way to get the new wxMaxima version into other than only the "testing" repo and I need to do something in order to trigger this I am happy to do it. Just tell me what I have to do.
If you want to fix this bug in jessie, you must follow the instructions given in devref 5.5.1 [1]. This effectively means that the release team will review your proposed debdiff before accepting/rejecting your bugfix. Note that most uploads to stable are supposed to be minimal, cherry-picked fixes, and backporting a new upstream release (which your last reply seems to imply is the only way forward?) as a way to fix a given bug is frowned upon. There are some obvious exceptions. with iceweasel and mysql being the first few packages to come to mind (impossible to cherrypick fixes for CVEs, and no other way to reasonably maintain security support for these packages without resorting to uploading new upstream releases), but such exceptions are handled by a case-by-case basis. Either way, please go contact the release team with a proposed debdiff in hand. If the release team refuses to accept your proposed debdiff and you (as the maintainer) consider the current wxmaxima package in jessie too buggy to be usable, the remaining option is to ask for wxmaxima to be removed from jessie (and then support jessie users via jessie-backports instead). Regards, Vincent [1] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#upload-stable