Re: Bugreport for LibreOffice 5 backport

Ronny Standtke <ronny.standtke@gmx.net> writes:

>> A possible workaround could be to continue using gtk with ...
>>
>> export SAL_USE_VLPLUGIN=gtk
>>
>> ... instead of using Gtk3 which is new default under GNOME3
>> (and works for me and sid/stretch, no big reports like this on
>> sid/stretch. Otherwise I wouldn't have done a backport.)
>
> Unfortunately, this doesn't help. I had to deinstall libreoffice-gtk3
> (that also removes libreoffice-gnome because of the new dependency).

While I can reproduce your bug, this is not true for me. The following
fixes the problem on my system:

user@debian:~$ export SAL_USE_VLPLUGIN=gtk
user@debian:~$ libreoffice

The resulting libreoffice instance does not expose the bug. You have to
make sure that really a new instance of libreoffice is started and that
the libreoffice command does not simply open a new window in an already
running instance. This will obviously not fix the running instnace! If
you start a new instance the command will not return until you close all
libreoffice windows, if it immediately returns it did not start a new
instance.

And for those that first misunderstood the bug report like me (I though
it was about clicking on the little arrow beside the new document icon).
You can reproduce the bug by clicking longer than normal on the normal
sized arrow beside the style, font or font-size textboxes in the
toolbar. It did not happen for me on any comboboxes inside dialogs.

> I also noticed that this bug only occurs on Debian Live systems. You can
> reliably reproduce the bug by downloading a current release of Debian
> Live, e.g.:
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/current-live/i386/iso-hybrid/debian-live-8.2.0-i386-gnome-desktop+nonfree.iso
>
> I opened a terminal and run the following commands:
> sudo bash
> echo "deb http://http.debian.net/debian jessie-backports main" >
> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jessie-backports.list
> apt-get update
> apt-get install -t jessie-backports libreoffice
>
> Now LibreOffice always crashes when pressing any combobox for more than
> a second.
>
> Can you also reproduce the bug this way?
>
> One significant difference between a "normal" Debian and a Debian Live
> system is that Debian Live uses aufs for the persistence layer. So I
> guess that the LibreOffice/Gnome/Gtk has some issues with aufs. But this
> is only my layman speculation...

Before going down this route I'd make sure that your non live test
system and your live system really use the exact same version of every
dependency. I think it's more likely this only happens in very special
combinations of packages.

Gaudenz