Re: Creating a new named official debian repository for OpenStack backports (Uploading all of OpenStack to backports)

On Monday, March 10, 2014 22:08:01 Daniel Pocock wrote:
> On 10/03/14 16:32, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> > Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@debian.org> writes:

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm very much in favor of providing up-to-date OpenStack packages to
> >> users of wheezy. The fact that the official OpenStack documentation for
> >> Debian points to an unofficial repository is quite sad.
> >>
> >> However, I'm not sure I understand what problems would be solved by
> >> using wheezy-havana, wheezy-icehouse, etc. instead of just plainly
> >> wheezy-backports?
> >
> > I agree with Lucas here. Unless the backports ftpmasters have specific
> > concerns (they did not comment until now). I would prefer to have this
> > in debian-backports instead of it's own repository.
> >
> > The only "problem" that could be solved is to lift the requirement that
> > packages have to enter testing before going into backports. But to me
> > this is actually a feature lacking form the current unofficial
> > repository.
>
> That is not quite the situation
>
> The problem with distributed systems is that often the version of the
> product is more important than the version of the OS.
>
> E.g. I've walked into more than one environment where Ganglia 3.0.7 was
> in use.  From 3.1.0 onwards, the network protocol is different.  So
> nobody with a Ganglia 3.0.x environment will use the packages from
> stable.  If they already have custom built Ganglia 3.0.x binaries on
> several other platforms like Solaris and even Windows, they will stick
> with that version forever and a day.
>
> Likewise, if somebody has a large network with OpenStack and they just
> want some Debian systems to play nicely inside that, they will want
> wheezy packages for their version of OpenStack, not just whatever
> version of the packages we happen to have in backports.
>
> There are other examples too, e.g. PostBooks.  Once somebody settles on
> a specific schema version, all systems they use need to have the same
> client version to match that schema.  Once again, they don't care if the
> desktops are some mix of wheezy, jessie and perhaps Ubuntu as well: the
> main thing is, the package versions of the PostBooks client code need to
> match the DB schema version.  Even if we offer PostBooks 4.3 in jessie,
> for example, we may need to offer an easy way for people to get 4.1
> packages on jessie in case they don't want to upgrade their schema at
> the same time they update their OS or in case they only want to update 1
> machine per week or whatever.
>
> The solution to all these problems may well be offering different
> repositories or having a way to support multiple version in a single
> repository

Which is why there is a PPAMAIN proposal.  Instead of doing one off solutions
for openstack, ganglia, whatever, I think it'd be better if the people who are
motivated around this issue invested time in helping with PPA implementation.

Scott K