Re: Backports, Stable releases, Testing, Oh my!

* Micha Lenk <micha@debian.org> [2014-02-26 11:24:39 CET]:
> But I guess this was and is not the only reason for the NEW queue
> for uploads to *-backports. Can the backports FTP masters please add
> some comments here?

 One reason is to catch cases where people actually try to avoid doing
stable updates for bugfixes but rather go the backports direction
because they deem it "more convenient", misunderstanding what backports
is for.  And yes, this still happens every now and then.

 Another reason is like what Alex already lined out.  And it is a chance
to catch packages which would have a serious impact on the stability of
a stable system, affecting other packages.  It involves a fair amount of
guts feelings, I admit, but communication is done in these cases with
the uploaders what their intentions were, and if they have thought about
the consequences it might have.  Most people are thankful for that and
also sometimes came to the conclusion that they have forgotten some
thoughts along the path.

 Just because we could automate a lot of things doesn't mean it is per
se a good idea to do so.  Uploads to backports end more-or-less without
any further delay available for installing on stable, after all.

 Enjoy,
Rhonda