Re: enabling wheezy-backports by default (Re: Backports integrated into the main archive

On Wed, 3 Apr 2013, Russ Allbery wrote:

> The *-backports repositories express this through repository metadata:
>
>     NotAutomatic: yes
>     ButAutomaticUpgrades: yes

Hrm right, in lenny this was done via pinning; this may have
made all the difference.

> I think dselect is effectively unmaintained.  It had an open RFH for
> years, although that's been closed now so maybe I'm wrong and someone
> picked it up?

Possibly, but it’s still useful, *especially* for manual
interactive cleanup of unused packages that a-g autoremove
doesn’t touch.

That being said, a deficiency in dselect probably doesn’t
warrant tipping the scale against enabling wheezy-backports
by default (if the problem exists post-lenny at all, anyway,
see above), it’s just another data point to consider, and,
possibly document (if the problem indeed still exists).

bye,
//mirabilos
--
tarent solutions GmbH