Re: Fw: enabling wheezy-backports by default (Re: Backports integrated into the main archive

Thorsten Glaser <t.glaser@tarent.de> writes:
> On Wed, 3 Apr 2013, Ben Hutchings wrote:

>> The low priority of *-backports should mean that no-one can install from
>> them by accident.

> Only for APT.

> I discovered that while upgrading systems from lenny…
> using dselect for cleaning up the system *beforehand*
> but still having PostgreSQL 8.3 on it, I was surprised
> it wanted to pull 8.4 from lenny-backports.

> Who knows what else tools are out there (at least cupt,
> never tried it though, and aptitude, which has a history
> of ignoring the other tools’ states such as hold states).

The *-backports repositories express this through repository metadata:

    NotAutomatic: yes
    ButAutomaticUpgrades: yes

There's nothing APT-specific about this metadata; it's in the Release file
and part of the normal repository metadata.  Tools that do not handle it
properly are buggy, and it would be good to report those bugs.

I think dselect is effectively unmaintained.  It had an open RFH for
years, although that's been closed now so maybe I'm wrong and someone
picked it up?