Re: Install dependencies automatically from backports.

On 04/24/12 19:09, Andres Cimmarusti wrote:
Hi there

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 11:23 PM, dE .<de.techno@gmail.com>  wrote:
I was wondering if apt can be configured to install the required
dependencies from backports automatically, if the dependencies can't be
fulfilled from the stable repository.

This's pretty common with Debian multimedia packages which require packages
from backports.

Notice, by default apt should not prefer installing from backports if the
required dependency can be fulfilled without using it.

This's my current /etc/apt/preferences -

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 989

Package: *
Pin: release a=squeeze-backports
Pin-Priority: 499

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 99

# not working
Package: *
Pin: release o=Unofficial Multimedia Packages
Pin-Priority: -100

Also another question which someone may like to answer is -- why am I not
able to disable the Debian multimedia repository with the above preferences?
I had this same problem not long ago and finally found an answer. This
is my apt preferences file:

$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=stable
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=stable-updates
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release a=squeeze-backports
Pin-Priority: 200

Package: *
Pin: origin "www.debian-multimedia.org"
Pin-Priority: 190

Package: *
Pin: origin "http://mozilla.debian.net";
Pin-Priority: 200

The key part for you are declaring the squeeze-backports and the
debian multimedia repos as I showed.  This ensures squeeze-backports
takes precedence, but also packages installed from either repo will be
upgraded (when they get upgraded).

Hope this helps

Andres

Thanks, I'm trying this out.