Re: libreoffice: US Letter selected when A4 present in /etc/papersize

Hi,

> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 02:14:07PM +0200, Rene Engelhard wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 02:12:03PM +0200, A Bug Reporter wrote:
>>

>>> Yes, I have it installed. Your suggestions seem to have helped for
>>> which I thank you, but these things should work out of the box.
>>>

>> It *does*. I didn't have anything to configure here to get A4 after a
>> fresh install.

Just because _you_ didn't have to do anything doesn't mean it works
everywhere. Please, get a clue.
> And note that libpaper-utils is recommended by libreoffice:
>
> http://packages.debian.org/en/squeeze-backports/libreoffice:
>
> rec: libpaper-utils
>      library for handling paper characteristics (utilities)
>
> and apt(itude) install those per default.

Your conclusions are completely wrong. libpaper-utils was not the
work-around solution to this problem as I said that I already had it installed. The workaround was specifying a4
in yet another place (repeating information in different places in the
system is a sign of bad system design), but I guess you (whoever
developers Debian/LibreOffice) never heard of that.

>>> There are a large number of heuristics that could be used to to
>>> figure out which paper format is likely desired by the user as a
>>> default. The UI could also reflect a checkmark somewhere saying that
>>>

>> Guess what? Those exist. (locale + paperconf + get the info from ppd + ...)

And yet _all_ other programs on my system do work. Really convincing. Why do you defend broken software? Just acknowledge it is crap.

Regarding your comments regarding my listed name: that's just ad hominem, which means you are out of arguments, which only shows your weakness.