Re: Dovecot in backports

On 06/29/2012 10:31 PM, micah anderson wrote:
After getting the go ahead from the maintainers, I uploaded
dovecot-antispam and dovecot2 to BPO yesterday. Because dovecot-antispam
is already in BPO, it was accepted right away, the dovecot2 packages are
waiting in NEW.

The dovecot-antispam package has strict version dependence. This means
that it only works with the version of dovecot that it was built
against. I built it on my amd64 machine against the 2.1.17 version that
is pending in BPO's NEW right now. However, what ended up happening is
that the BPO autobuilders picked it up and built it against stable
dovecot1.

So right now the dovecot-antispam package in BPO is somewhat useless,
it doesn't work with dovecot1 or dovecot2 (unless you are on an amd64
machine, in that case it works for dovecot2).

The question is, do we go ahead with letting dovecot2 into BPO, and then
do binNMUs on dovecot-antispam to make it work with dovecot2?

Is it not possible to put the dovecot-antispam back and create a dovecot2-antispam package that works with the new dovecot2 package?

Regards,

Rik